In the fast-paced world of social media, TikTok has emerged as a cultural phenomenon, captivating the attention of millions around the globe with its short-form video content. This powerhouse platform has revolutionized the way we consume and create entertainment, serving as a hub for creativity, humor, and even education. But what truly lies beneath the surface of this viral sensation?
In this post, we delve into the world of TikTok stats to unravel the fascinating numbers, trends, and insights that shape the landscape of this dynamic platform. From user demographics to engagement metrics, we’ll explore the data that drives the TikTok universe and offers a unique perspective on the ever-evolving realm of social media.
So, join us on this statistical journey, as we uncover the secrets and stories behind TikTok’s meteoric rise.
Known as Douyin in its home market, TikTok was launched in China in 2016. It quickly increased in popularity and the following year, the parent company ByteDance launched an international version.
The platform was originally launched for people to share short-form videos, primarily lip syncing and dancing videos. Since the early days, however, TikTok has grown into something much bigger and evolved into a fully-fledged video service with something for everyone. AI technology is used to identify user interests and feed them more relevant videos.
TikTok can be accessed from a range of devices, however, most people use a smartphone. The following TikTok stats show exactly how popular TikTok has become.
- In 2019 and 2020, TikTok was the most popular app
- In 2023, TikTok reached 1.7 billion monthly active users, a 17% increase on 2022
- TikTok comes in at #5 concerning the number of users, whereas the YouTube platform sits at #2
- 18% of global internet users aged between 16 and 64 use TikTok
- Nine out of ten TikTok users open the app several times a day
Millions of users access TikTok every day, but which demographic uses the platform most? The following statistics reveal all you need to know.
- More than 780 million users in China access the platform daily
- In the Asia-Pacific region, not including China and India, TikTok has over 500 million users
- The Chinese version of TikTok, Douyin, has more than 750 million daily active users
- The highest number of TikTok users are under the age of 30
- The age bracket with the highest percentage of users is 18-24
- More women (54%) use the platform than men (46%)
- Outside of China, the largest TikTok markets are Brazil, Indonesia, and the US
- 47.4% of US TikTok users are aged 10-29
To access TikTok content, you first have to download the app. Get the lowdown on the number of downloads that have taken place over recent years.
- In 2019, the app was downloaded 693 million times
- The following year, downloads had increased to 850 million
- TikTok was the 7th most-downloaded app in the 2010s
- In 2022, TikTok was the most downloaded app, with 672 million downloads
- In Q1 2020, TikTok had 315 million downloads, a record not including Chinese third-party app stores
The All-in-One Platform for Effective SEO
Behind every successful business is a strong SEO campaign. But with countless optimization tools and techniques out there to choose from, it can be hard to know where to start. Well, fear no more, cause I've got just the thing to help. Presenting the Ranktracker all-in-one platform for effective SEO
TikTok has been around for just a few years, but during that time, the platform has grown significantly.
- By the end of 2024, the number of monthly active users is expected to reach two billion
- The owners of TikTok purchased Musical.ly for $1 billion
- TikTok has surpassed Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat in monthly active users
- 14% of marketers planned to up their spending on TikTok in 2021
From its humble beginnings, TikTok has quickly grown into a profitable business, earning billions of dollars in profit.
- Revenue for 2022 is estimated to be $11.65 billion, a 100% increase year-on-year
- Consumer spending in TikTok in Q4, 2022 reached $6 billion
- The total value of TikTok is $75 billion, as of February 2023
- The highest TikTok influencer is Charli D’Amelio whose earnings were $105,770 in 2023
- Other ways for TikTokers to make money include brand partnerships, cross promotions, selling merchandise, and getting paid to attend brand events
In this section, we’ll explore the diverse range of videos that dominate the platform, from dance crazes to educational content.
- In 2019, Pakistan and India banned TikTok for morality issues, however, both bans have now been rescinded
- 68% of TikTok users watch someone else’s video
- 55% of users upload their videos
- TikTok is available in 75 different languages, demonstrating the importance of multilingual content
- Entertainment content on the platform has amassed 535 billion hashtag views
- The second most viewed content category is “Dance”
- The most-viewed video in 2022 was Amaury Gichon’s video of a massive chocolate giraffe
- The average posting frequency for a user is 20 videos per month
What are the metrics and strategies that drive audience interaction? Learn how likes, shares, and comments contribute to the viral success of TikTok content creators.
- On TikTok in 2021, micro-influencers had engagement rates of 17.96%, compared with 3.86% of influencers on Instagram, and 1.63% on YouTube
- Engagement rates are calculated as follows: the number of likes + number of comments + number of shares divided by the number of views, which is then multiplied by 100%
- TikTok creators with more than 500,000 followers on average have a higher engagement rate than a creator with only 20,000 followers
- In 2019, TikTok saw a 210% year-over-year increase in engagement time
- The total time spent on TikTok in 2019 is estimated to be 68 billion hours
- TikTok engagement in the US increased by 1,533% between 2017 and 2019
It is time to share some insights into the industry standards and expectations for success on the platform. Learn about the numbers and best practices that could help you measure and improve your TikTok performance and stay ahead of the competition.
- A reasonable goal is 1,000 to 10,000 followers within the first few months
- Top-performing video content can reach millions or even billions of views
- The sweet spot for most content is 15 to 60 seconds
- If you use 5 to 10 relevant hashtags it can help videos gain more visibility
In our fun facts section, we’ll share intriguing titbits about TikTok that will leave you amazed.
- On average, TikTok users spend 95 minutes per day on the app
- An average TikTok user opens the platform 19 times per day
- TikTok can be accessed in 154 countries
- TikTok’s headquarters are in Beijing, China
- TikTok is currently banned in five countries, including China
- TikTokers earn money through “gifting” via the app’s virtual currency
- TikTok helps users send gifts to other creators with the help of an in-app currency
In conclusion, the world of TikTok stats is a captivating journey into the heart of this dynamic platform. As we’ve explored user demographics, engagement metrics, and content dynamics, it’s evident that TikTok’s influence continues to grow.
Its unprecedented rise to social media stardom demonstrates the power of creativity, community, and connection in the digital age.
Whether you’re an aspiring TikTok influencer, a curious user, or a marketer looking to harness the platform’s potential, understanding these statistics is key to navigating the ever-evolving TikTok landscape. As the platform continues to evolve, it will be exciting to witness how these numbers shift and shape the future of social media.